Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Baking with Fire and Smoke


Today I decided I was finally going to make the apple pie I promised joe i would make. This will be the first time I've baked anthing for him in this house. So naturally I had some difficulties finding the proper utensils to make this delicious pie. After basically washing every dish and measuring cup I needed I was finally ready to make the pie.

It was going great until I realized we didn't have a rolling pin. No need to worry a cold water bottle did even better!
So the pie was all constructed and ready for baking. Time to preheat the oven! So, ok turn this knob to 425 and that should do it.

With in seconds the doorbell rings. Im covered in flour and unshowered! YIKES!!! oh its ok no one too cute. Just the Schawns guy trying to sell me something. I tried to tell him i was a little tied up but he insisted. AS i was falling for his scheme but still trying to shoo him away I smelled something burning. I looked over at the stove and saw smoke coming from the burners. but the Schwans man wouldnt leave me alone.
I finally said excuse me my cat is overcooking in the oven.

Ok so no I didnt say that exactly but I rudely excused myself and slammed the door in his face.
I ran over to the oven and opened it up. A black billow of smoke escaped and set off two fire alarms in the duplex. I panicked. I screamed for my roomate but she was in the shower. Imagine how freaked she must have been. So im standing under the fire alarm with a cardboard box jumping up and down waving the smoke away. It wasnt working and the more it wasnt working the more freaked out I got. It was hard to see in the kitchen wich also made it hard to think.

I finally grabbed a chair and turned it off- the noise stopped and i collapsed on the floor in exhaustion.
My roomate ran down the stairs and all i could do was laugh. i told her dont worry the pie is not burned. After the smoke cleared I investigated the scene. Something was burnt and crusted to the bottom of the oven and it stunk. In about five minutes after that I heard fire trucks outside.

OMG how could this happen. I was freaking out. But then the fire trucks went past the house and i was relieved. How embarrassing would that have been...
So the story ends I had to bake the pie in this tiny conventional oven. and it worked and my pie looks the best I ve ever made. I think Joseph will be proud of me and i will leave out the whole almost burning down the house fire truck incident!!

No comments: